Supported Productions 1997
In addition to the German-American exchange programs, another important task of the RIAS BERLIN COMMISSION is to support German and American radio and television productions which promote mutual understanding. In 1997 the commission selected a total of seven productions to receive grants:
- The Berlin Airlift Project (Bob Frye, Bolthead Communications Group, New York, N.Y.)
A documentary that tells the story of the Berlin Airlift and how the allies forced the Soviets to lift the blockade of Berlin, and what its impact has been over the past fifty years.
- Marshall Plan Videoclips (4) (Marshall International Center, Leesburg, Virginia, USA; George C. Marshall Foundation, Lexington, Virginia, USA)
- Marketplace, June 2 to 6, 1997 (USC Radio PRI, Los Angeles)
Daily 30 minute live program from Berlin, coinciding with the anniversary of George Marshall’s Harvard University Commencement speech to the class of 1947.
- German Academy in Exile (K & K Kommunikation & Kunst Ernst Martin)
The other Germany — Exile and Resistance in the Third Reich
- German Software-Pioneers in Silicon Valley (Ralf Ulrich Schmidt, MDR Radio Sputnik)
- City Harvest (Brigitte Kirilow-Erickson, Stephen Erickson)
Food for homeless people
- Marshall Plan interview transcripts (Christenson Associates)
Editing of 150 interviews, done for the TV production The Marshall Plan — Against the Odds